Ezekiel 46:2
The prince must enter from
the outside through the entrance hall of the gateway. He must stand by the
doorposts of the gateway.
Thought
for the day – Raspberry beret
One of the musicians I enjoy listening to is
Symbol, or the artist formally known as Prince. It’s a tenuous link to today’s
reading but hey I’ve had more tenuous links. And the reason I mentioned Symbol
because for the last few days I’ve been wondering who the prince of the New
Temple is or represents. And it seems that many Biblical scholars think that
the prince in Ezekiel is a symbol of how the role of leader is even more
distinct from the role of priest than it was before.
The prince mediates worship but never leads
it. The prince functions less as a prediction of one particular ruler and more
as a foil: an authority who mediates worship but is still barred from the inner
sanctuary, pointing beyond himself to a greater priest-king who would not need
to offer for his own sin and who opens access fully. That greater priest-king
would be Jesus as shown in Hebrews as the King who is also our High Priest.
What a contrast between the kings of old and
the future King. And what a symbol for the use of political power as a way of
mediating worship. In the congregation, not over it.

Comments
Post a Comment