Daniel 1:8
But Daniel resolved that he
would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank.
Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself.
Thought
for the day – Where God is
Many years ago I was invited to join some
Muslim friends for Iftar, the breaking of the fast during Ramadan. I was
honoured to be asked, but found myself wondering about whether or not the food
that I would be eating would be clean. I’m not Jewish, but it was the only way
I could think about it. In the back of my head was the challenge the Corinthian
Church faced in 1 Corinthians about food offered to idols. In the end I went
for the meal and had a great time.
The reason I felt okay joining my Muslim
friends for Iftar was because I was well aware of what I was doing. I was also
reminded of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 10:27 : ‘If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and
you want to go, eat anything set before you without raising questions of
conscience.’ And then in 10:33: ‘I also try to please everyone in all I do. For
I am not seeking my own good, but the good of many, that they may be saved.’ Iftar
for me was an opportunity for mission. An opportunity to break bread and talk
about faith. Which was exactly what we did. Would I change anything? No. It was
a good night for everyone and the food was absolutely amazing!

Comments
Post a Comment