Daniel 7:9
I watched till thrones were put in place,
And the Ancient of Days was seated;
His garment was white as snow,
And the hair of His head was like pure wool.
His throne was a fiery flame,
Its wheels a burning fire;
Thought
for the day – Powerless to act
In our chapter today, Daniel has this amazing vision of four beasts, they are the kingdoms of the world that are to follow. It's an image that we see again in the book of Revelation, and a reminder to us that when John wrote the book of Revelation, he was relying on texts from the Old Testament.
But our focus today, and the verse that caught my mind, is verse 9. That sense that we are back in the throne room of God, where thrones are set in place, and the Ancient One or the Ancient of Days, as our verse says today, has taken his place and is ready to bring judgment on the world.
That description of God is awe-inspiring. His clothing was white as snow. The hair on his head was like pure wool. These are amazing images of God. His throne was a fiery flame, its wheels a burning fire. These are truly awe-inspiring images.
Last night I sat in a meeting and we talked
about the mystery of God. It was actually membership classes for church and we
talked about how we had lost some of the mystery of God, some of the
awesomeness of God. And as I was reading today's chapter I was drawn to this
verse describing the throne room of God. I loved being back in the presence of
the Holy One. Those moments in scripture where we are back in the throne room
of God, I think are important for us, because they I think they root us in a
place that is holy, it reminds us that is more than what we see. I don’t think
it’s a comfortable place. But then maybe we’ve become too comfortable, too
familiar with our understanding of God and places like the Holy of Holies and
the Throne room of God remind us that God is so much more than we can ever
understand or comprehend.
This blog post is part of the Walking the Way Podcast series.
All views expressed in this essay are those of the author. This essay is freely
available under Creative Commons License with Attribution-ShareAlike, allowing
users to share it in other mediums/formats and adapt/translate the content as
long as an attribution link, indication of changes, and the same Creative
Commons License applies to that material.
This work is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

Comments
Post a Comment