Ezekiel 27:33
When your wares came from
the seas, you satisfied many peoples; with your abundant wealth and merchandise
you enriched the kings of the earth.
Thought
for the day – Eternal Father
strong to save
When I was training to be a minister, I had
the opportunity to visit the Queen Victoria Seafarers Rest. It’s a program run
by the Methodist Church as an outreach to seafarers. I don’t know if I’ve
mentioned it here before, but my family has a long tradition of being
seafarers. My Dad was a communications specialist in the Royal Navy; I had an
uncle that served as a submariner; and my grandad served on a destroyer. I also
have friends who serve in the merchant navy and from my time in Cornwall I know
lots of people who are fisherman. I spent three months of my life aboard a ship
as a project manager back in 2000. I have a huge respect and love for
seafarers.
Seafarers are a special group of people who
put their lives on the line for us on a regular basis. Think about it for a
second. Have a look around wherever you are now. If something you have or own
or have eaten has come from a different country, the probability is it has come
to you on a ship. And a life at sea is nowhere as glamourous as people think it
is. Nothing says welcome like a dirty polluted harbour.
So why the focus on seafarers when Ezekiel’s
prophecy is about the fall of Tyre? Tyre was built on the back of shipping and
trading. Sailing, shipping and trade are universal and historic. We have always
done it. Tyre was not unique. So today
let’s remember those who go to sea for us. Whether it’s catching fish, transporting
cargo or keeping us safe let’s pray for them. The God who calms the storm and
the waves, is able to keep them safe on the waves and on land.
Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm does bind the restless wave,
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to Thee
For those in peril on the sea.

Comments
Post a Comment