Saturday, June 15, 2019

My Father's heart

John 16:12-15


Romans 5:1-5


My Father's Heart

SERMON

Today is a challenging day in terms of preparation. Not only did we have the wonderful baptism of Rosie and Oliver and a sermon on baptism could have filled an hour. As I’ve already mentioned today is Trinity Sunday, it’s the start of World refugee week and to top it all off it’s also Father’s day. I bet when they put together the church’s liturgical calendar they had a good laugh in the office as they thought about all the headaches they’d be causing preachers. So I did what all good preachers are supposed to do and let the Scriptures speak to me.

We heard Jesus promise earlier that he would send his Spirit and that the Spirit would guide us in all truth. And as someone who has always been someone who is quick to question things I found myself asking what does Jesus mean by the truth. I found myself reflecting on the Romans passage and I came to the conclusion that one of the truths Jesus is talking about is the way God relates to us.

And that’s a really important thing to think about. There’s a wonderful book called the ‘Father heart of God’. It’s written by a gentleman called Floyd McClung. It starts with him and his children looking at a picture in a museum in Amsterdam called ‘Man’ though it was originally called ‘My Father’ by Dutch artist Karel Appel. Now I went online and had a look at the piece and it’s quite dark and bit miserable really. After a long discussion, his daughter asks the question if Appel believed in God and if so did he see him as a loving father.  And McClung comes to the conclusion that we often don’t recognize God for the loving faithful father he is. He then spends the 140 pages exploring what it means to be loved by God. If you can get your hands on a copy it’s worth a read.
Just as a brief straw poll how many of you have or have had good relationships with your fathers? How many of you have or have had difficult relationships with your fathers? How has your relationship with your father affected the way you see God as our Father?

Father’s Day has always been difficult for me. My dad died on Christmas Eve shortly before my 4th birthday. My stepdad was an alcoholic so my experience of fathers hasn’t always been the best. It was only in my twenties that I met someone who would truly show what being a father was like. David was my supervisor when I worked for Youth for Christ. And in him, both in terms of his relationship with me but also his relationship with his own sons I saw what true fatherhood was meant to be. It was David that introduced me to McClung’s book and he had used it to map out his understanding of God as a father. And he helped me see that the way we see God is not the same way God sees us. You may think that’s blindingly obvious but it’s worth exploring the question how does God relate to us?

There’s a really technical word in the Romans passage. It’s called justification. Paul writes that we are justified by faith. What does that mean to us in reality and how does that tie into our idea of God as our Father? Justified means that we have been put right with God. It stems from the Biblical principle that we have turned our backs on God and God in his love and his faithfulness has sought us out. While God had every right to cast us off and leave us to our own devices God sent Jesus to break down the divide between us. This is what Paul calls grace, that God loves us and wants the best for us even though it is us that has rejected God.

This is one of the truths that the Holy Spirit shows us. That God the Father has given his all for us in his son Jesus Christ. God’s relation to us is built on love in all it’s glory. The problem isn’t with God then, it’s with us and the way we see God. If our father was abusive then the likelihood is that we will see God as some big bad ogre. If our fathers were cold and distant, then God is likely to be seen as cold and distant. If like me your father wasn’t there then God is likely to be a distant abstract figure that really has no meaning in your life as was the case in mine.

There was an occasion that showed me what true fatherhood was. I had overstepped the mark with something, and it had gone horribly wrong. I was called into a meeting and as I sat in David’s office I could see that I had truly hurt him. But as we sat together and he balled me out, I could see that while he was angry and hurt, he still cared for me. It turned out that he had taken the blame on himself. At great personal cost. Earlier that year he had made a commitment to us. We were part of a new program and he knew there would be times when we would drop the ball so he made us the promise that he would back us no matter what.

That day as I sat in his office, I saw what real fatherhood was. I saw for the first time what the father heart of God was. It was love, it was being faithful to the promises made, it was sacrifice. It wasn’t judgment or ridicule. It wasn’t rejection or abandonment. It was bearing it all for my sake without my asking for it but recognizing that I needed it. In that moment I saw God’s heart. That is how God relates to us.

All that remains for me to ask you is how will you respond?


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment