Skip to main content
A better Way

John 6:35, 41-51
Proverbs 9:1-6

I’ve said before that when God wants me to pay attention he generally repeats something over and over again. And today’s Bible readings have been one of those times.

As I was looking at the passages I was struck by how each of the passages presents a different way, a better way. In the Gospel of John, we see Jesus talking to those who struggled to see who Jesus was. Jesus starts by describing himself as the bread of life. He then goes on to really upset those listening to him by saying that keeping the old Jewish traditions essentially led to death. Jesus says: ‘I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die.’ Imagine being told that everything you hold dear is obsolete. Because that’s what Jesus is doing when he compares the manna in the wilderness with the bread of heaven. Jesus is challenging the very traditions of his own faith as well here. Manna was and still is important to Jewish people because it demonstrates how God has rescued and provided for his chosen people. It became an integral part of their tradition when a pot of it was placed in the Ark of the Covenant, along with Aaron’s rod and the tablets with the Law on them. All of these were symbols of God’s power, authority, and provision. And Jesus comes along and tells everyone there is a better way.

The writer of Proverbs is even blunter than Jesus in this passage. We are all called simple. The Hebrew word here is ‘Peti’ and it can be translated as simple or naive or foolish. In verse 6 the word is petayim which means folly. And the implication is that the lives we are leading are lives of foolishness and folly and that there is a better way.

So we have this passage in Proverbs where wisdom is laying out her hospitality, (Gentlemen, please note that wisdom is always female in Scripture) and is offering us a better way. The writer of Proverbs is using food here in the same way Jesus did in John by saying that there is a better way. So where am I going with this? What is God’s message to us?

I’ll be honest and say that I struggled with what I believe God was trying to say to me. The challenge here is what if God is doing a new thing and we are just not hearing it? What if we are like the simpleton that Wisdom is calling to. What if we are like the Jewish people who have clung to traditions for so long that it has become part of our identity? These are really difficult questions to consider.

Someone asked me the other day if I would still be a Methodist minister in 20 years’ time? The questions came out of a conversation about the decline of the traditional church. I have to say the question didn’t really bother me too much because even if the Methodist church ceases to exist, the Church of God will carry on and I will still be a Christian, not necessarily a minister and so I will still serve God wherever he calls me. Because here’s the point I think we need to wrestle with today. When we think about our past how wedded are we to it. Are we willing to give it all up for God? If God told us today to sell this place and move, would we? I’m not suggesting for a minute that is what God wants us to do. What I’m saying is we need to hold our traditions and our past lightly. Ever wonder why Jesus set out his disciples with only the clothes on their backs? It wasn’t about testing their faith and God providing, I believe it was, so they could respond quickly. Traveling lightly means that when plans change, it’s less of an upheaval.


Ask yourself today or even better ask God to show you a better way. There may not be one. You may be on the path that God has set you on. But it may be that God has something so wonderful in mind for you it may cost you everything. And then ask yourself are you willing to give it all up to find it. That’s what Jesus and the Writer of Proverbs are saying to you today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is an occasion for everything, and a time for every activity under heaven   Thought for the day The blogger Jill Printzenhoff writes about a time how she went fishing and caught nothing and yet the fisherman next to her managed to pull out seven. They were using different bait and she describes it as not her day. She finishes her blog post with these words: ‘You keep striving, you keep working, and you keep on keeping on. Because some day when you cast your line . . . you will be at the right spot at the right time . . . and that day will be your day . . . the day you catch that all elusive fish!’ I believe that there is a time for everything under heaven and earth and sometimes, well actually, all the time we need to be patient and wait because the reality of the situation is we are working to God’s time. The writer of Ecclesiastes also says this about God’s timing: ‘He has made everything appropriate[b] in its time. He has also put eternity in...
 Holiness What does holiness look like to you? Or when you hear the word holy what comes to mind. The reason I’m asking is because for a while now I have been thinking about holiness. What does it mean to be holy and whether or not we can truly be holy? We are commanded to be holy both in the Old Testament and by Jesus who said be holy as your Father in heaven is holy (Matthew 5:48).  John Wesley taught that genuine faith produces inward and outward holiness. He consistently argued that salvation must produce holiness of heart and life, but he never viewed the process as something that would be completed. He taught that despite the inner assurance and regeneration of character that results from knowing that you have been saved, it is never too long before we discover that there is still a root of sin within. However, there is never an occasion or state of true Christian discipleship that does not lead to a deepening of our love for God and for our neighbour and we become mo...

What does it mean to put Jesus first?

What does it mean to put Jesus first? John 12:1-8   Philippians 3:4b-13 What does it mean to put Jesus first? I ask this because as always I try to find a link between the two lectionary readings and as I was thinking about the readings the thing that I recognized across both these passages was the thought that both Mary and Paul are putting Jesus first. In John, we have this wonderful account of Mary anointing Jesus. It’s a passage we think we know reasonably well. It’s not the only account of Jesus being anointed, and most Biblical scholars agree that this account is the same as the accounts found in Luke and Matthew. Details vary but essentially it is the same account. In the account we see Jesus reclining at a table and then Mary prostrates herself at Jesus’ feet and empty’s a whole jar of nard on Jesus. And then wipes Jesus feet with her hair. Two things strike me here. Firstly Nard was not cheap. John notes that is was the equivalent of a year’s worth of wag...